Art and Design
I've always understood the importance of having a bit of poetry in one's soul. This page details my creative exploits and talents.
- I completed my Master's thesis, Buying Spirits: Narratives of Belief and the Importance of Ghost Folklore, in the summer of
2010. My ambition is to conduct additional research to extend these ideas with a wider data set and additional analysis, such as a stronger linguistics component.
- I have a Bachelor of Arts in English, Emphasis Creative Writing, from Western Michigan University. I graduated in 2007.
- I have written works published in the Climax Crescent, the National Library of Poetry anthology, and Modern Ferret magazine.
- I have experience with copyediting as well as editing for content and narrative structure. I have edited in creative, academic and technical genres.
For example, I edited the manual used for all new hires by the Telecommunications department at Western.
Drawing and Crafting
- I am clever with my hands and I love to craft. I work with a variety of media and like to experiment with
new ones. So far I have tried my hand at sewing, ceramics, beadwork, jewelry making, knotted bracelets, polymer clay, drawing with pencils
and inks, painting, digital art, animation, photography/videography, papier mache sculpture, crochet, and knitting.
- I maintained a small independent business with my then-partner part time, selling our handmade goods. We both drew
and crafted on commission and also were sellers on Etsy. Our Etsy store can be found here:
Rings of Caturn I still occasionally take on commission work, though not through
the Etsy shop any longer. I may open another shop later if I ever decide to sell crafts more regularly again.
Performance, Storytelling, Modeling
- I have worked as a live model for the art college WMU and again for classes at the University of Sunderland and the Tunstall Art Studio.
This included clothed and nude poses with and without props, and involved working with the students and teachers to create a relaxed
learning environment. I still take on modeling jobs as they come up. I love being part of the studio atmosphere, helping to inspire and
foster learning, and being a vehicle for art. It's very rewarding work. I consider it an active, participatory role that is as much
being an assistant to to the teacher and students as it is being a "prop" for the pieces.
- In high school I was involved in drama club and the
forensics team as a storyteller for all four years,
fostering excellent speaking skills. My passion for storytelling continues and I relish opportunities to perform.
I still participate with friends in creating skits or videos, just because I love to do it, but haven't been in an organized
production in some time.
- I studied puppets and puppeteering during my time with the University of Glasgow and created and performed
with a moving-mouth, arm-rod style puppet. I adore every aspect of puppet work, from creation to bringing them to life.
- I was in the concert and marching band in high school as well as being involved in musical theater and voice lessons,
and have recently picked my interest in music back up to learn the ukulele. I like to sing and write songs.
Web Design and Games
- I design and maintain this website. I wrote the HTML and CSS files for several of the pages (including this one), and all
the graphics and content are my own original work except where otherwise specified.
- I write and create all the visuals for the comic Between, part of this website. The comic's
pages are drawn using a Wacom Bamboo tablet and GIMP software. I used to manage the site with the help of an admin who hosts the server,
using WordPress and the Webcomic theme. There have since been some technical problems that I hope to resolve soon, but for now, the images are
simply displayed on a page for easy reading.
- I assisted (and sometimes still assist) my then-partner in making computer games, which involves some coding, digital artwork, animating,
play testing, script editing, and voice acting. Our biggest joint game endeavor is an in-the-works project called The Big Sheep, which
he has put on hiatus because of other concerns. Information about the project can still be found
under the title MockPuppet Games. He does other titles as well, which
I offer some support on, usually writing or editing but sometimes graphics.
Following are a few examples of my digital artwork. These, like Between, were drawn with a Wacom Bamboo tablet using an open source image software
called GIMP. I favor a rather stylized, cartoony look overall but I like to try new techniques and styles as well.
You can use this link to return to the CV Main Page or this one to go back to the
Bowl Of Serial home page.