Administration, Human Resources, Customer Service
The majority of my professional experience to date has been in office/administrative, HR, and customer service/retail functions. I have a good deal
of experience working with people in all their glorious variety and also acting on my own initiative, and I enjoy both roles.
- I currently work as a Front Office Assistant at MedExpress, an independently owned urgent care center in Battle Creek MI. I deal
with customer relations, check in patients, deal with a variety of behavioral anomalies and social situations, maintain HIPPA and other
regulations regarding privacy and safety, and use a number of computer programs to facilitate this work, as well as the usual copier,
scanner, and fax machine.
- Prior to this, I was a Member Services representative at a YMCA in Syracuse, New York, meaning that I am a front desk receptionist there.
My role included office duties and cash handling as well as forming relationships and
promoting a community-focused atmosphere. I also occasionally volunteered with some of the art programs.
- I worked part time at A Little Book Shop in the Washington Galleries Inshops until April 2012. During my shifts, I opened, ran, and closed the shop myself.
I enjoyed the responsibility and the trust placed in me to do a good job without supervision.
- While living on campus in the University of Glasgow's Dumfries dormitory I served as dormitory warden. I was a liaison between the student residents and the university, and
sometimes also the community and local law enforcement. I monitored and reported on the state of the building and grounds, paying close attention to health and safety concerns,
and acted as a mediator when necessary. I was also on hand to advise during emergencies. This job challenged me by requiring me to stand firm in spite of criticism, and it was gratifying
that I was able to step up to the task and look out for the well-being of my residents even in tense situations.
- I maintained a small independent business with my then-partner part time, selling our handmade goods. We drew
and crafted on commission were also are sellers on Etsy. Our old Etsy store can be found here:
Rings of Caturn
Since neither of us had prior experience as entrepreneurs, I
researched business independently and looked into the legal, practical, and financial aspects of undertaking this project. I acted as
manager in this joint endeavor.
- I was a moderator on the Dogster website, meaning I played a role as a community helper who works with a team to mediate conflict and
promote a fun and friendly atmosphere.
What follows is a brief coverage of my professional experience prior to graduate school.
Pier 1 Imports, Battle Creek, MI (2008-2009)
- Assist customers and run cash register
- Work closely with other members of sales team to execute business goals as a unified whole
- Offer creative decorating solutions
- Unload and unpack heavy, fragile items from truck
- Keep things tidy and organized
Working Personís Store, Buchanan MI (2007-2008)
Customer Service Representative/Call Center Operative
- Operate sophisticated computer phone system
- Listen to customers and negotiate solutions
- Manage accounts and place orders
- Trusted with confidential information such as credit card numbers
- Communicate with other service reps and departments to create a team atmosphere
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI (2004-2007)
Telecommunications Services/ Switchboard Operator
- Edited and assisted in development of the training manual that is now used by the telecommunications department for training
- Created new policies along with management that have helped maximize efficiency within the department
- Associated closely with management and cooperated with other departments to better serve the students, faculty, and staff of the WMU campus
- Assisted customers with all questions and issues regarding telephone and cable services
- Scheduled appointments for technical help visits
- Assisted with general organization and record-keeping
- Utilized computers for varying office functions, quickly learning several new programs
You can use this link to return to the CV Main Page or this one to go back to the
Bowl Of Serial home page.